A clockwork depiction of our solar system, known as an orrery. --
Wanderers Orrery in Stone - YouTube
Video will open in a new window
Using the App? Paste link into a browser window:
We have been producing this unit for over 25 years (engineered by us), continually improving on design and aesthetic. Each unit is handcrafted from raw materials; we make the gearwork in-house. Each unit is a labor of love, with an attention to detail and dedication to quality easily likened to the creation of the highest quality musical instruments. The semi-precious stone planets and moons come from around the world, and are hand picked for our units. Their natural subtleties ensures that your celestial bodies will be unique.We have made and sold thousands of our orreries across the world.
As you may imagine, orreries are somewhat of a niche item in the global market, and aside from mass-produced plastic models or pre-assembled DIY kits, one can easily expect to pay thousands of dollars for an artisan crafted piece. We offer this unit -- and all our science instruments -- at prices which defy usual pricing standards.
Specifications follow, with the See the video here.
- Clockwork depiction of correct relative orbital speeds of all nine planets (yes, nine).
- Solid 12 sided oak base (wherein sits hidden drive motor and battery compartment).
- Runs for 2 months "on" time on 1 "D" battery (included).
- On/off switch is located at side.
- Mercury orbits once in 4 seconds.
- Pluto orbits once about every 2 hours.
- Customer's Choice: Planets and Sun are EITHER beautiful semi-precious stones closely resembling actual planet colors (planet list of stones is included)OR BRASS (moons are always stone). Buyers please indicate which set you prefer, stone or brass. (Note: We fashion Uranus and Pluto with a bend in the wire to depict their tilt with respect to the plane of the ecliptic).
- Twenty-eight semi-precious stone moons are represented; Moons are static as the host planets traverse in their discreet orbits.
- Clockwork mechanism is located under a removable glass dome.
- Moving gearwork is completely visible within dome. Mechanism gears are solid brass.
- Entire unit assembles in about 5 minutes.
- Owner's manual/assembly instructions and 90 day warranty included.
- Fully assembled unit is 16" high and spans a radius--Sun to Pluto--of 12"
- This handcrafted orrery is made by us. We are science instrument makers for over 22 years, having made and sold thousands of orreries.
- Buy it now $895.00
- All international orders are securely double boxed and guaranteed to arrive undamaged (or we will happily replace).
- IMPORT TAX is the responsibility of the buyer. We offer FREE international and domestic shipping.
We are sellers of good repute on , and have many more satisfied customers in years past through several national catalogs. We value your patronage and you will not be disappointed. Please email us with any questions or comments.